[MARMAM] New Special Issue of Journal of Marine Biology

Marino, Lori lmarino at emory.edu
Fri Sep 7 12:53:39 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to call your attention to a new special issue in the Journal of Marine Biology guest edited by myself, Frances Gulland, and Chris Parsons entitled:

Protecting Wild Dolphins and Whales: Current Crises, Strategies, and Future Projections

Summary: In this special issue, we explore the topic of protecting wild dolphins and whales from several angles. The papers in this volume reach across previously separated domains and also reflect the new approach of moving beyond the numbers and incorporating individual welfare into conservation analyses. New stressors and threats of concern are highlighted, such as marine debris and the growth of whale watching. Whale watching is currently the most globally important economic activity involving cetaceans that have been put forward by many as a sustainable practice, that is, obviously more ethically acceptable than whaling. But even so, without proper management, even this activity can be a stressor to cetacean populations. The papers also reflect the urgency that is felt as we strive to protect and conserve wild cetaceans. We hope that the papers in this volume engender further thinking about new and even further "out of the box" ideas about how to ensure that wild cetaceans move into the future in their own natural habitats.

For online access to the issue please go to: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jmb/si/895691/

Thank you,

Lori

Emory University