[MARMAM] New NGO report on MPA in the Canary Islands

Fabian Ritter, MEER e.V. ritter at m-e-e-r.de
Fri Oct 12 07:03:23 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

we would like to inform you that we have recently published the
following report dealing with the proposal for an integrated MPA off La
Gomera (Canary Islands):

*Model for a Marine Protected Area for sustainable Whale Watching off La
Gomera (Canary Islands).
A report by MEER e.V., Berlin. 37 pp.*

This report has been produced on the basis of almost 15 years of
cetacean research.

A framework for a marine protected area in the waters of La Gomera is
laid out. Furthermore the report justifies - on the ground of what is
known about the biology and ecology of the cetaceans in the area - why
an integrated concept for marine conservation is needed and how it
should look like.

The report thus covers various management aspects including the
ecosystem approach, regulation of user groups, local involvement, public
education, development of sustainable whale watching, monitoring and
financing.

This report is a milestone of our research based on data collection on
whale watching vessels of La Gomera, and we think it is a good example
how such long-term research can inform management.

Please follow this link to download the full report. Please note that
there is also a *full Spanish version* available.
http://m-e-e-r.de/index.php?id=166&L=2

With best greetings,
Fabian

--

Fabian Ritter
-President-

M.E.E.R. e.V.
Bundesallee 123
D-12161 Berlin

T/F: (0)30-644 97 230
e-Mail: ritter at m-e-e-r.de

www.m-e-e-r.org

---
The dolphins were having a great relaxed time
and there were no major answers they wished
to know the questions to...
(After Douglas Adams)

___
M.E.E.R. ist eingetragen im Vereinsregister Berlin.
Steuer-Nr. (German tax ID): 27/672/54225
M.E.E.R. is a registered charity.