[MARMAM] The Whale Center of New England: Marine Mammal Research Internships 2013

Laura Howes laura at whalecenter.org
Wed Nov 21 10:25:41 PST 2012

Marine Mammal Research and Education Internships 2013
(For a detailed description and application, please see our website at
www.whalecenter.org/research-whales/whale-center-internships.html)

The Whale Center of New England, located in Gloucester, MA, is a
non-profit research organization involved with the study of the
behavior, ecology, and natural history of the whales and dolphins found
in the waters off of Massachusetts. The Whale Center is also heavily
involved with habitat conservation and education programs.  We are
currently looking to fill research internships for the Spring 2013
(January 28 - May 31), Summer (May 27 - August 23) and Fall (August 19 -
December 13) semesters of 2013, Please note: Positions for the spring
will be filled in December, while positions for the summer and fall will
not be filled until the early spring of 2013.

The Whale Center of New England internship provides experience needed to
further pursue fields in marine biology and animal behavior. It is our
goal to provide college students and recent graduates with the
opportunity to collect valuable information important to the marine
mammal field and to see how this information is used in management and
conservation efforts in this area.  Each internship session offers
different experiences in marine mammal science that will depend on the
season.  These duties may include, but are not limited to: extensive
photo-identification, and computer work (training provided), field data
collection and public education aboard commercial whale watching
vessels, educational and fundraising outreach, and attendance at
conferences and meetings. There is often the possibility of future paid
seasonal employment by the Whale Center of New England for interns who
particularly excel during the internship.
There is no fee required for the intern position. Interns are required
to provide their own housing and board, and a means of transportation to
the boats we work on in Boston and Gloucester, MA. (The Whale Center may
be able to assist interns in finding housing and/or transportation). At
times, housing can be difficult to find, but we put interns in contact
with each other so that they can look for a place together. Past
volunteers have also lived with friends or relatives in nearby areas
such as Boston and Salem. Internships are full-time, with long hours
expected especially during our summer internship.
Also, college credit may be arranged by the student through their
department or as an independent research program at their college or
university.  The Whale Center of New England encourages this, and will
take whatever steps are required to facilitate such efforts.
International applicants are often accepted to the Whale Center's
internship program, but it should be noted that there are ancillary visa
fees for international exchange.

The Whale Center is looking for independent applicants with a blend of
enthusiasm, scientific skills, and communication abilities. There may be
opportunities for interns to specialize their focus during the
internship (i.e. Education, Research, Database Management) depending on
their background and interests.

Internship applicants should also have the following:
* A background in biology, zoology, or related field
* Some knowledge of research methods and design
* An ability to work and communicate well with others
* Enthusiasm and dedication to work long days (sometimes 12 hours or
more) in the field or office
* Completed their freshmen year at the time of application

In order to apply for an internship: please send our application
(attached or refer to our website), a resume or CV, a cover letter
detailing your reason(s) for applying, two letters of recommendation,
and an updated transcript. Once your application has been received, an
interview may be arranged. In-person interviews and phone interviews are
both accepted. Spring 2013 interviews will be conducted in December
2012, and Summer/Fall 2013 interviews will be conducted during one of
two weekends in March 2013. All applications for the Spring 2013
Internship must be submitted by December 15, 2012. All applications for
the Summer 2013 and Fall 2013 Internships must be submitted by March 1,
2013. Please note that early applications for the summer and fall won't
be reviewed until the spring of 2013. Applicants should note which
semesters they are applying for (a single application may enter an
applicant into the pool for more than one session, in case they are not
selected for their first choice).  All positions are highly competitive.

Application materials and questions regarding the internship should be
directed to Laura Howes

Laura Howes
Program Coordinator
P.O. Box 159