[MARMAM] Fwd: Whale bones in archaeological sites

Peter Wilson peterwilsonbones at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:04:25 PST 2012

Hi folks,

A broad request here: I'm currently trying to get an idea of the
distribution and frequency of cetacean remains in archaeological sites
in Britain and Ireland, dating to any time before 1500AD. Essentially,
from looking around I have gathered that in looking at the well known
stuff - such as Flixborough - I am only scratching the surface. If
anyone can think of any sources that even refer to as little as a single
chunk of cetacean bone in a site from Britain or Ireland - or know of
any relevant unpublished finds - I would be extremely grateful for the
information.

I am gathering this information as a preliminary study for what will hopefully become a PhD thesis.
Thanks, and apologies for cross-posting,

Peter