[MARMAM] Fluke malformation in bottlenose dolphin calf

Joan Gonzalvo Villegas joan.gonzalvo at gmail.com
Sun May 13 12:09:14 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

Following information received from the National Cetacean Stranding
Network in Greece, on the 8th of May personnel of the Ionian Dolphin
Project had the chance to examine a stranded dead calf of bottlenose
dolphin in the Amvrakikos Gulf, western Greece. The dolphin, a female
of 130 cm of length presented a malformation of its fluke.

More information on the event and the context in which it took place
can be obtained by reading the following post in the project's blog:
http://ioniandolphinproject.org/2012/05/13/fluke-malformation-in-stranded-bottlenose-calf/

Four pictures providing detail on the characteristics of this
malformation (mutation?) can be viewed in our Gallery:
http://ioniandolphinproject.org/about-the-project/gallery/#stranded-bottlenose-calf

We would be grateful to those of you who could facilitate relevant
information gathered while coming across a similar observation in
bottlenose dolphins or any other cetacean species. We are also
interested in papers and/or reports dealing with cetacean
malformations and mutations that might shed some light on this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable collaboration. Please,
report any comment, observation or literature to Joan Gonzalvo at joan.gonzalvo at gmail.com

Sincerely,

Joan Gonzalvo (*) and Alexandros Frantzis (**)
* Tethys Research Institute
**Pelagos Cetacean Research Institute