[MARMAM] Baja Summer Course

Greg Meyer gmeyer at csumb.edu
Fri Mar 16 12:44:57 PDT 2012

*Baja Natural History Studies, Aug. 2 - 18, 2012
Biology 131, Glendale Community College
$860 includes lodging, transportation to Mexico from Glendale, CA and all
meals at the Field Station in Baja.
*

*Instructors:*  Greg Meyer, California State University, Monterey Bay and
Guy Van Cleave, Columbia College, Sonora, CA

*Course Overview:
*

Our class is based at a seaside field station in the fishing village of
Bahia de los Angeles.  Offshore the nutrient-rich waters are alive with
whales, dolphins, seabirds and marine turtles, while the nearby desert
islands are habitats for endemic species.  This richness of marine wildlife
is rivaled by few places in North America.

Our course focuses on the biology and ecology of marine vertebrates and the
natural history of Baja.  Daily boat excursions are complimented by
afternoon and evening lectures at a new and beautiful field station where
students can watch birds, dolphins and snorkel on our beach.  Sperm,
Bryde's, Fin and Pilot whales cruise the offshore waters with Long-beaked
Common and Bottlenose Dolphins.  We typically see more than 25 species of
marine birds as well.

Our 3-unit Biology class (CSU transferable) is sponsored by the Baja Field
Studies Program of Glendale Community College, which has operated courses
in Mexico for over 30 years.

*Location: *Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja California, Mexico

*For Registration Details and Other Information, Contact:  *
*
*

*Greg Meyer**, **Faculty,** **California** State University Monterey Bay***

*gmeyer at csumb.edu**    (831)345-1973*

* *

*Guy Van Cleave**, **Professor of Biology, Columbia College***

*vancleave at yosemite.edu  (209) 588 – 5202*

**

*Baja Program Website: <http://www.glendale.edu/index.aspx?page=226>

**http://www.glendale.edu/index.aspx?page=226*

--
Greg Meyer, M.A.
Outdoor Education and Recreation Program