[MARMAM] Marine Research Expedition Staff

Shimoni (GVI) shimoni at gviworld.com
Mon Mar 5 20:49:36 PST 2012

Dear,

GVI Kenya is looking to strengthen it's South-Coast Kenya programme and is
welcoming applications for a Marine Programme Officer position. We would
like to give preference to Kenyan nationals familiar with volunteer
programmes and cetacean or wider marine ecological knowledge. Please find
below he job description for more detailed information.

Duration

1 year

Location

Mkwiro village, Wasini Island, close to Shimoni, 80km South of Mombasa.
Satellite bases include Shimoni village on the mainland and communities
close to Taveta and Tsavo West National Park

April 2012

Job Type

Marine Conservation, Paid work

Description

Support the GVI Kenya expedition Marine Research Programme, primarily
cetacean population research using photo-identification, and also snorkel
surveys of turtles and reef fish. The expedition supports Kenya Wildlife
Service and other local partner organisations. The successful applicant
will be expected to support volunteer training and management, expedition
logistics and other activities including coastal forest biodiversity
research, teaching English, environmental education and supporting
community-based sustainable development.

Salary

Starts at $100 per week, flight contribution paid in instalments after 6
months

Organisation

GVI owns and operates more than 150 volunteer programs in over 40 countries
worldwide. We are one of the world’s largest independent volunteer program
providers and have worked for over 10 years to supply quality volunteer
programs across the globe. Every year over 3000 volunteers join programs
from 1 week to over 1 year. Our programs are regularly featured in the
world’s press and scientific and humanitarian publications for their great
achievements in the field. Through its international network of over 175
personnel in over 40 countries GVI continues to support many of the most
critical conservation and humanitarian projects around the globe. GVI is
incredibly proud of its culture. We believe in what we do and are totally
committed to providing the very best programs and volunteer experiences.
Although we work hard we have a tremendous amount of fun. Come and meet us
to see why so many people want to work with GVI at home or abroad.

Responsibilities

·         Training, supervising and leading volunteers

·         Mentor and Assessor for BTEC qualification in Supervising
Biological Surveys

·         Programme development, data analysis and reporting

·         Leading field research activities

·         Maintaining high health and safety standards

·         Maintenance of base, equipment, boats and vehicles

·         Base and logistic support

Qualifications/ Skills Required

·         Relevant degree (Biological or Environmental Sciences)

·         RYA Powerboat Handling Level 2 certified (or equivalent)

·         First Aid certified

·         Driving licence

·         Emergency First Response Instructor qualification

·         TEFL or alternative teaching qualification

Other Details

Applicants should be fit and in good health, enthusiastic, flexible and
hard-working, with excellent personnel and leadership skills. Field
research experience with cetaceans and boat driving essential. Teaching
experience, community development experience and Swahili language all
advantageous.

Conditions

Conditions are basic, with the research base located in a rural island
community only accessible by boat and living in shared accommodation
without running water and with limited power. Staff have their own room on
base. Camp duty tasks such as cleaning and cooking are shared amongst the
expedition team. Days can be long and physically demanding.

Included

·         All food

·         Accommodation

·         All travel during expedition activities

 http://www.careersabroad.co.uk/FullDescription.aspx?id=991

--

*Zeno Wijtten*
Senior research and conservation programmes officer
Shimoni at gviworld.com
Ke: +254 (0) 700 774392

www.gvikenya.blogspot.com | www.gvikenya.wildlifedirect.org  |
www.scribd.com/gvikenya