[MARMAM] Humpback whale sighting in the Pelagos Sanctuary for Marine Mammals

Sylvia Frey sfrey at oceancare.org
Thu Jun 28 09:45:19 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to inform you about an extraordinary sighting of a humpback
whale in the waters off the Côte d'Azur by OceanCare. Please find below
some details of the sighting:

- Date: June 28th, 2012
- Time: 11.45 a.m.
- Position: approx. 20 nautical miles south of Nice
- Duration of the sighting: 13 minutes
- Length of the animal: approx. 8-10 meters
- Sex: unknown
- Behaviour of the animal: the whale approached our research vessel and
was swimming around it while our platform was just drifting (engine
off). The animal was obviously curious and examined our boat from each
side before heading east-south-east.

It would be very interesting to know whether this humpback whale was
already sighted by other researchers. In order to investigate this and /
or to share images / data please contact sfrey at oceancare.org.

Best regards,
Sylvia Frey

OceanCare