[MARMAM] DAREWIN research program seeking for volunteers : whale breeding season 2012

abyss abyss at planetenature.re
Wed Jun 13 00:39:34 PDT 2012

Based on the island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, the DAREWIN program
(www.darewin.org) <http://www.darewin.org> studies acoustic and ethology on
Humpback Whales, Bottlenose Dolphins and Sperm Whales. We work with
different organizations: the NGO Abyss (www.abyss.re),
<http://www.abyss.re>the FFESSM
(www.ffessm.fr) <http://www.ffessm.fr> and various private operators. This
project is conducted under the scientific supervision of laboratories, with
a multidisciplinary and international scientific
committee<http://web.me.com/abyss974/Site/Scientific_comittee.html>
.

For more information you can watch this film: https :/ /
vimeo.com/34462527<https://vimeo.com/34462527>

We offer motivated individuals to join the team for two to three months
from the month of August. An experience and training in the field of
biology and signal processing is a plus. Similarly boating license and a
snorkeling level  are preferable.

We expect assistance in the field and at office, to assist in data
collection and processing of our data base online.

- Photo and video identification
- Spectral analysis of videos and recordings sound systems
- Classification of behaviors
- Timecode of geolocalised data
- Weekly video summary

Similarly participation in logistics and supervision of program
participants is expected. Two to three survey trips per week on average
will be planned.

- Preparation of video and audio materials
- Preparation of the boat
- The maintenance of the public reception area, video and photo exhibition
- Welcome the public

Housing is provided (on basic shelter built), the volunteer will assume the
flight and other expenses. A contribution to costs of our program
(optional) will be welcome.

To apply, thank you for sending your application to
abyss at planetenature.rebefore June 20, thank you to attach a CV and
letter.