[MARMAM] New paper on shipping noise using AIS data (Nathan Merchant)

ndm23 at bath.ac.uk ndm23 at bath.ac.uk
Sat Jun 2 07:48:57 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

my co-authors and I are pleased to announce the (pre-)publication of a
new method of assessing sound exposure from shipping using passive
acoustics and AIS data:

Merchant, N.D., Witt, M.J., Blondel, P., Godley, B.J., Smith, G.H.,
Assessing sound exposure from shipping in coastal waters using a
single hydrophone and Automatic Identification System (AIS) data.
Marine Pollution Bulletin (2012),
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.05.004

Abstract

Underwater noise from shipping is a growing presence throughout the
world?s oceans, and may be subjecting marine fauna to chronic noise
exposure with potentially severe long-term consequences. The
coincidence of dense shipping activity and sensitive marine ecosystems
in coastal environments is of particular concern, and noise assessment
methodologies which describe the high temporal variability of sound
exposure in these areas are needed. We present a method of
characterising sound exposure from shipping using continuous passive
acoustic monitoring combined with Automatic Identification System
(AIS) shipping data. The method is applied to data recorded in
Falmouth Bay, UK. Absolute and relative levels of intermittent ship
noise contributions to the 24-h sound exposure level are determined
using an adaptive threshold, and the spatial distribution of potential
ship sources is then analysed using AIS data. This technique can be
used to prioritise shipping noise mitigation strategies in coastal
marine environments.

The paper can be downloaded here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X12001944

PDFs available on request.