[MARMAM] Cetacean tracking and calculations application

Oriol Giralt oriolgiralt at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:02:39 PDT 2012

Hello MARMAMers We would like to distribute a spreedsheet that may be helpful to the broader community for cetacean tracking studies via theodolite or total station (i.e., taking geolocation fixes of marine mammals from a theodolite / total station). We were unable to use get our total station to communicate with other professional software, and so we developed a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet that should assist researchers to analyze data taken with the theodolite / total station. We also attached a Manual and the 2 links to 2 different videos that serve as manual for the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. The software does most of the calculations you will need to estimate the Lat. and Long. of objects seen through a theodolite / total station, including some data management facilitaties to discriminate between different objects (boats, whales, etc). Its features include:- Tide-height interpolation;- curvature of the earth corrections,- estimations of turning rates and other aggregate variables,etc. With this application, we’re not trying to replace other programs (Pythagoras, Cyclops) developed for the same applications (and are no doubt better for  theodolite tracking research). However, due to incompatibility problems between our model Total Station / Theodolite, we had to look for another solution, and we want to share it to other researchers that may have the same problem that we had. We would also be happy to know if you have any problems using it.
Excel File: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2WyoYMUhEV3S3MtSWc2b2ZrUlEManual: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2WyoYMUhEV3NXJWZExEWk1pWDgTutorial Video: http://www.screencast.com/t/7y8FeoekTutorial Video: http://www.screencast.com/t/D1Te5atuj