[MARMAM] Anomalously pigmented dolphin between Tenerife and La Gomera (Canary Islands)

Marcel Gil marcelgilvelasco at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 02:27:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am new on this forum so I start saying hello to all the members!
I hope I will learn a lot reading your messages :)

Anyway, I write to ask about a strange dolphin I saw a month ago between
Tenerife and La Gomera (Canary Islands). It was together with a group of
more than 40 short-beaked common dolphins and I saw it from the fast (not
the fastest!) ferry that links the 2 islands, so that's the only picture I
managed to take. The animal reminds me a Long-beaked common dolphin, but it
doesn't match all the features. I think long-beaked have never been sighted
in the Canaries and looking at the internet, I've found there are some
hybrids. I am aware of the variability of short-beaked common dolphins, but
I've never seen an animal like that...
You can see a picture at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kz148v5drxnrld/delphinus%20sp..jpg

Does anyone have seen similar dolphins?