[MARMAM] Field assistant needed for a behavioural ecology and demography project in spring 2012!

Kristine Meise kristine.meise at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 23 00:56:38 PST 2012

Field assistant needed for a behavioural ecology and demography project in spring 2012!

We   are currently looking for a highly motivated field assistant to   participate in our international field project on behavioural ecology   and demography of Galápagos sea lions (Zalophus wollebaeki). The  field site is situated on a small (500m diameter), uninhabited   islet  off Santa Cruz. To investigate growth rates, suckling behaviour, reproductive success and  social  structure we run a  regular recapture and resighting program. The field  assistant will  participate in all aspects of this program.
Field work will be demanding.   Participants have to live in tents the entire field season and share  in  all camp duties (cooking, cleaning, daily data entry, etc.). No   sanitary facilities are available and we provide sweet water only for   drinking and cooking. All gear needs to be transported to the islet via a   difficult landing and camp conditions are primitive, including mostly   tinned food. Due to the long stay in this rough situation volunteers   need to be physically capable. Prior field work experience is required and preferences will be given to those candidates who have worked with   pinnipeds before (please specify your experiences in the application).

Field assistants are expected to stay for  the entire field season (beginning of March until the end of April). We cover travel costs and living  expenses.

The language at the camp will be English and Spanish.

If  you are interested, please send an application in English  (including a  letter of motivation, a reference and your curriculum  vitae) until 03.02.2012 to the following address:

kristine.meise at uni-bielefeld.de

Kristine Meise

Galápagos Sea Lion Project
University of Bielefeld