[MARMAM] The Sounding of the Whale: Science and Cetaceans in the Twentieth Century

Uko Gorter uko at ukogorter.com
Sun Jan 8 15:12:22 PST 2012

Dear MARMAM-subscribers,

On behalf of author D. Graham Burnett and Levi Stahl of Chicago Press,
I would like to forward the following press release and announcement
of Graham Burnett's new publication: "The Sounding of the Whale:
Science and Cetaceans in the Twentieth Century".

Please, contact Levi Stahl of Chicago Press for more information:
(773) 702-0289 or lstahl at press.chicago.edu

Regards, Uko Gorter

“In the bright new age of whale science, Graham Burnett's astounding
and wide-ranging report from the front lines of cetacean studies is
hugely welcome. Rooted in historical fact, political, philosophical,
and scientific analysis, it lays out the sorry story of the
interaction of humans and whales in an era that redefined the ever-
uneasy meeting of natural and human history. By turns enlightening,
lively, and disturbing, always intuitive and drawing on a wealth of
knowledge as vast as its subject, Burnett’s book is set to become a
new high water mark in a still unfolding story.”

Philip Hoare, author of The Whale

“The wait is over. We finally have a comprehensive, brilliantly
written chronicle of science in the history of whaling—or whaling in
the history of science. Graham Burnett’s leviathanic opus covers
everything you ever wanted to know—or didn’t know you wanted to know—
about the biology, conservation, politics, and history of what is
perhaps man’s most troubled relationship with wild animals. This
masterly study eclipses every cetological work that precedes it. Well,
maybe not Moby-Dick.”

Richard Ellis, author of The Great Sperm Whale

The Sounding of the Whale

Science and Cetaceans in the Twentieth Century

D. Graham Burnett

Publication date: January 31,
2012
                                                                                              978
-0-226-08130-4

International publication date: February 20,
2012
                                                                               $
45.00/£29.00

“In the early twentieth century, whale biology was restricted to the
flensing decks of factory ships, where scientists were in danger of
being sucked ‘into the belly of the beast’ of modern whaling.

D. Graham Burnett artfully renders the history, and the often
fractious relationship, between biologists and whalers; I felt as if I
had discovered a trail of ambergris meticulously arrayed along the
shores

  of twentieth-century cetology. The Sounding of the Whale is a work
of stunning scholarship

and a bracing read.”

Joe Roman, author of Listed and Whale

D. Graham Burnett is professor of history and history of science at
Princeton University. He is an editor at Cabinet magazine and the
author of four books, including A Trial by Jury, Trying Leviathan, and
Masters of All They Surveyed. He is available for interviews

Please contact Levi Stahl at (773) 702-0289 or
lstahl at press.uchicago.edu for more information.