[MARMAM] Way of Whales workshop Jan. 28, Whidbey Island, WA

Orca Network susan at orcanetwork.org
Sat Jan 7 23:23:58 PST 2012

WAYS OF WHALES WORKSHOP
JANUARY 28, 2012
Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA

Do you love whales?
Are you a naturalist, researcher, educator, or someone who thrills at
seeing whales and wants to learn more about these amazing beings that
live in the Salish Sea and beyond?
Then this workshop is for you!

Join Orca Network for our annual Ways of Whales Workshop, Saturday,
January 28, 2012, 9:30 am until 4:30 pm at the Camp Casey Conference
Center, 1276 Engle Rd, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA.

This annual workshop is about the wonders of Pacific Northwest
Whales, the threats to their habitats and health, and the research
being conducted to learn more about the diverse species of whales in
our region and protect them for future generations.

This year's workshop includes presentations by:

~Candice Emmons, NOAA Fisheries NWFSC - Suction cup tag research on
Southern Resident orcas
~Jessica Lundin, Center for Conservation Biology, Univ. of Washington
- Orca scat project, detecting stress hormones in Southern Resident orcas
~Matt Krogh, North Sound Baykeeper Team - Impacts and implications of
the planned Gateway Pacific coal shipping Terminal at Cherry Point
~William Wilcock - School of Oceanography, University of Washington -
Fin Whale Seismology
~Howard Garrett - presentation and update on captive orca issues

Environmental education displays and materials will be available
throughout the day as well.
Cost of the workshop is $25, and lunch is available for purchase for
an additional $10 (for those who pre-register by Jan. 20, or on an
as-available basis after this date). Lunch will be Meat or Vegetarian
Spaghetti, with garlic bread, vegetable, Caesar salad, fresh fruit,
warm apple crisp and beverage. We recommend purchasing lunch at the
workshop site, as it allows more time for visiting educational
displays, networking, and meeting presenters and other workshop
participants. Snacks and beverages are also provided during the
morning and afternoon breaks.

More information and online registration can be found at
www.orcanetwork.org or by contacting Orca Network at
info at orcanetwork.org or calling 360-678-3451. Online registration is
at:
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e5gmiy0399d38576&llr=r5jgwzbab

Coming from off-island? Spend Friday and/or Saturday night at the
beautiful, historic Captain Whidbey Inn, and Receive a 20% discount
on your stay when you mention you are attending our Ways of Whales workshop!

Join us Saturday evening for a no-host after workshop social at the
Captain Whidbey Inn lounge at 5 pm, where we can talk about what we
learned and meet some of the day's presenters and participants.
For more information about the Captain Whidbey Inn, or to reserve a
room, visit their website at
<http://www.captainwhidbey.com>www.captainwhidbey.com or conctact
them at info at CaptainWhidbey.com or 1-800-366-4097.

###

Susan Berta & Howard Garrett
Orca  Network
info at orcanetwork.org
www.orcanetwork.org
1-866-ORCANET

Orca Network - Connecting whales and people in the Pacific Northwest
Orca Network is dedicated to raising awareness about the whales of
the Pacific Northwest,
and the importance of providing them healthy and safe habitats.

Projects include the Whale Sighting Network and Education Programs,
the Free Lolita Campaign,
and the Central Puget Sound Marine Mammal Stranding Network.