[MARMAM] New Publication: Hearing in Cetaceans (review)

T. Aran Mooney amooney at whoi.edu
Fri Dec 14 03:28:37 PST 2012

Dear MARMAM Subscribers,

We are proud to announce a recent review on hearing in cetaceans
published in: *Advances in Marine Biology

*Mooney TA, Yamato M, Branstetter BK. 2012. Hearing in cetaceans: from
natural history to experimental biology. Advances in Marine Biology.
63:197-246. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-394282-1.00004-1*
*
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123942821000041

Please contact me if you do not have access to the article
(amooney at whoi.edu)*

*
Abstract
Sound is a primary sensory cue for most marine mammals, and this is
especially true for cetaceans. To passively and actively acquire
information abouttheir environment, cetaceans have some of the most
derived ears of all mammals, capable of sophisticated, sensitive hearing
and auditory processing. These capabilities have developed for survival
in an underwater world where sound travels five times faster than in
air, and where light is quickly attenuated and often limited at depth,
at night, and in murky waters. Cetacean auditory evolution has
capitalized on the ubiquity of sound cues and the efficiency of
underwater acoustic communication. The sense of hearing is central to
cetacean sensory ecology, enabling vital behaviours such as locating
prey, detecting predators, identifying conspecifics, and navigating.
Increasing levels of anthropogenic ocean noise appears to influence many
of these activities.
Here, we describe the historical progress of investigations on cetacean
hearing, with a particular focus on odontocetes and recent advancements.
While this broad topic has been studied for several centuries, new
technologies in the past two decades have been leveraged to improve our
understanding of a wide range of taxa, including some of the most
elusive species. This chapter addresses topics including how sounds are
received, what sounds are detected, hearing mechanisms for complex
acoustic scenes, recent anatomical and physiological studies, the
potential impacts of noise, and mysticete hearing. We conclude by
identifying emerging research topics and areas which require greater focus.