[MARMAM] Most northerly sighting of a Cuvier's beaked whale?

Sarah Jackson sarahjackson at planetwhale.com
Fri Aug 31 14:36:27 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm writing with regards to a sighting of Cuvier's beaked whale (Ziphius
cavirostris) between the Faroe Islands and Iceland on 26 July 2012.

As far as I'm aware this is the most northerly recorded sighting of the
species - there have been strandings in Iceland but I cannot find evidence
of a live animal being recorded further north than the Shetland Islands,
Scotland. General consensus on the distribution of the Cuvier's beaked
whale seems to be that the northernmost boundary is south of the Faroe
Islands. Is anyone aware of any other sightings in this area or can shed
some light on the distribution of the species?

The sighting has come to my attention as a result of the cetacean
distribution survey currently taking place in the Faroe Islands, run by
Planet Whale and WSPA. The project is ongoing until September 30th this
year, and is currently calling for all cetacean sightings in the area to be
reported to the survey team. Working with local and outside partners we
hope to establish a clearer picture of the diversity and distribution of
cetaceans around the Islands - through dedicated watches throughout the
summer season and the collection of data from other sources.

Please send any information or sightings to sarahjackson at planetwhale.com,
and please feel free to contact me for more details regarding the project.
We'd also be very happy to hear from anyone who has worked or studied the
marine wildlife in the area previously, or has any relevant work ongoing.

Kind regards,

Sarah Jackson

Project Manager
sarahjackson at planetwhale.com

Office:   +44 (0)1273 355011
Planet Whale, 2a Church Road, Hove, East Sussex BN3 2FL, UK

www.whale-fest.com