[MARMAM] Publication of a paper that may be of interest to some of you.

Mikkel Sinding mhssinding at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 02:49:55 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the  publication of a paper that may be of
interest to some of you, but in a journal that might be off your radar,
hence the heads-up:

Sinding MHS, Gilbert MTP, Grønnow B, Gulløv HC, Toft PA, Foote AD (2012)
Non-destructive DNA extraction from archaeological artifacts made from
whale baleen. Journal of Archaeological Science, 39: 3750-3753.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440312002774

Abstract

Here we demonstrate the successful extraction and amplification of target
species DNA from artefactsmade of whale baleen collected from excavations
of past palaeo-Eskimo and Inuit cultures in Greenland.DNA was successfully
extracted and amplified from a single baleen bristle of 1.5 cm length dated
basedon archaeological context to the period of the Saqqaq culture, more
than 4000 years ago and followingdecades of storage at room temperature at
the National Museum. The results reveal ancient baleen inarchaeological
material as a potential source of DNA that can be used for population
genetic studies. Weconclude that genetic investigation of historical baleen
collections can contribute to our knowledge ofthe prehistoric population
genetics of baleen whales, for example by quantifying the impact of
modernwhaling on the genetic diversity of bowhead whales.

Please contact me if you are unable to access the article online.

Best regards,

Mikkel Holger Strander Sinding,

mhssinding at gmail.com

Centre for GeoGenetics