[MARMAM] Publication: Bottlenose dolphins exchange signature whistles when meeting at sea

Nicola Quick njq at smru.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 08:34:53 PDT 2012

Dear all,

The following paper appeared online earlier in the year, but we are pleased to announce it is now available with a full citation.

Nicola J. Quick and Vincent M. Janik (2012). Bottlenose dolphins exchange signature whistles when meeting at sea. Proc. R. Soc. B  279; 2539-2545

ABSTRACT: The bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus, is one of very few animals that, through vocal learning, can invent novel acoustic signals and copy whistles of conspecifics. Furthermore, receivers can extract identity
information from the invented part of whistles. In captivity, dolphins use such signature whistles while separated from the rest of their group. However, little is known about how they use them at sea. If signature whistles are the main vehicle to transmit identity information, then dolphins should exchange these whistles in contexts where groups or individuals join. We used passive acoustic localization during focal boat follows to observe signature whistle use in the wild. We found that stereotypic whistle exchanges occurred primarily when groups of dolphins met and joined at sea. A sequence analysis verified that most of the whistles used during joins were signature whistles. Whistle matching or copying was not observed in any of the joins. The data show that signature whistle exchanges are a significant part of a greeting sequence that allows dolphins to identify conspecifics when encountering them in the wild.

A pdf copy of the work can be obtained from the lead author at njq at smru.co.uk

Best Regards

Nicola Quick

Dr Nicola Quick
Senior Research Scientist

Scottish Oceans Institute
SMRU Ltd
New Technology Centre
North Haugh
St Andrews
Fife  KY16 9SR
Scotland

email: njq at smru.co.uk
http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/staffProfile.aspx?sunID=njq

Tel:         +44 (0)1334 479100
Fax:        +44 (0)1334 477878

www.smru.co.uk
http://soi.st-andrews.ac.uk/

 Please consider whether you really need a hard copy of this email before
printing it - thank you.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This message, and any attachments, are intended
solely for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you believe that you have
received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and
destroy this email.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email
and any attachments are free from any virus, we advise that, in keeping
with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually
virus free.

SMRU LIMITED is a limited company registered in Scotland, Registered
Number: 296937.  Registered Office:  5 Atholl Crescent, Edinburgh  EH3 8EJ.