[MARMAM] NRDC -- marine mammal protection attorney

Kiekow, Taryn tkiekow at nrdc.org
Mon Aug 13 10:50:43 PDT 2012

Hello MARMAM colleagues,
NRDC is hiring a staff attorney to work with our Marine Mammal Protection and Southern California Ecosystems Projects in the Santa Monica office. The attorney will work on both marine mammal protection (70%) and Southern California ecosystem (30%) issues.  We are looking for someone with 3-5 years of litigation experience.  Please feel free to pass along this job posting<https://nrdc-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=127&company_id=16427&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992370&bycountry=0&bystate=1&bylocation=NULL&keywords=&byCat=NULL&tosearch=yes> to anyone who might be interested.  We are accepting and reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please encourage folks to apply early using our online system<https://nrdc-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=127&company_id=16427&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992370&bycountry=0&bystate=1&bylocation=NULL&keywords=&byCat=NULL&tosearch=yes>.  Thanks!
Best,
Taryn

Taryn G. Kiekow
Staff Attorney, Marine Mammal Protection
Natural Resources Defense Council
1314 Second Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Tel. (310) 434-2323
Fax (310) 434-2399
tkiekow at nrdc.org<mailto:tkiekow at nrdc.org>

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

Staff Attorney
Santa Monica Office

The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things.   NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.

Position Summary:
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has an immediate opening for an attorney to work with NRDC's Marine Mammal Protection and Southern California Ecosystems Projects in our Santa Monica office.

Responsibilities:
The attorney will work on both marine mammal protection (70%) and Southern California ecosystem (30%) issues.  This position involves: Litigating new and existing cases, administrative advocacy, campaign initiatives, legislative analysis, lobbying, and working with environmental organizations and coalitions. As part of the Marine Mammal Protection Project, the attorney will litigate cases involving endangered species, habitats and emergent threats to marine mammals; advocate for marine mammal protection before administrative agencies and government officials; and participate in cutting-edge, public campaigns for the preservation of these species.  As part of the Southern California Ecosystems Project, the attorney will work to challenge proposed and existing transportation, infrastructure, and development projects that threaten wildlife habitat and open space, and to promote sustainable land use and transportation practices and policies in support of NRDC's strategic goals of fostering sustainable communities and saving wildlife and wild places.

Qualifications:
This position requires a J.D. with 3-5 years of legal experience, including significant litigation experience. The successful applicant will possess a superior academic background; exceptional research, writing, communication, and analytical skills; ability to understand and convey scientific material; and a high degree of professional integrity. The successful applicant will also possess outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to manage and prioritize a heavy workload while working as a member of a team. A demonstrated interest in environmental protection and/or a background in marine or environmental science is a plus.

NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion.  We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.  We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment.  Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.

To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs<http://www.nrdc.org/jobs>. Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, transcript, and a legal writing sample that does not reflect edits by anyone other than you.  No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org<http://www.nrdc.org>