[MARMAM] New publication: Experimental evidence of action imitation in killer whales (Orcinus orca)

"José Francisco Zamorano Abramson" zabramson at psi.ucm.es
Sun Aug 12 09:51:12 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues: we are pleased to announce the recent publication of the following paper:
Abramson, Z. J., Hernández-Lloreda, MV, Call, J. y Colmenares F. (2012).  Experimental evidence of action imitation in killer whales (Orcinus orca). Animal Cognition. DOI: 10.1007/s10071-012-0546-2
The article has just been published and is available as 'Online First' on SpringerLink:

http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10071-012-0546-2
Please feel free to contact me with any questions about this article.
Best regards,
José Z. Abramson.
Abstract

Comparative experimental studies of imitative learning have focused mainly on primates and birds. However, cetaceans are promising candidates to display imitative learning as they have evolved in socioecological settings that have selected for large brains, complex sociality, and coordinated predatory tactics. Here we tested imitative learning in killer whales, Orcinus orca. We used a ‘do-as-other-does’ paradigm in which 3 subjects witnessed a conspecific demonstrator’s performance that included 15 familiar and 4 novel behaviours. The three subjects (1) learned the copy command signal ‘Do that’ very quickly, that is, 20 trials on average; (2) copied 100 % of the demonstrator’s familiar and novel actions; (3) achieved full matches in the first attempt for 8–13 familiar behaviours (out of 15) and for the 2 novel behaviours (out of 2) in one subject; and (4) took no longer than 8 trials to accurately copy any familiar behaviour, and no longer than 16 trials to copy any novel behaviour. This study provides experimental evidence for body imitation, including production imitation, in killer whales that is comparable to that observed in dolphins tested under similar conditions. These findings suggest that imitative learning may underpin some of the group-specific traditions reported in killer whales in the field.

José F. Zamorano-Abramson. PhD. Departamento de Psicobiología Facultad de Psicología Universidad Complutense de Madrid Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid, Spain e-mail: zabramson at psi.ucm.es