[MARMAM] Postdoctoral associate position in marine mammal acoustics

Melissa Soldevilla melissa.soldevilla at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 10 11:01:44 PDT 2012

The University of Miami is committed to educating and nurturing
students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and
beyond. We are leaders in the area of education, scholarship,
intercollegiate athletics and service. Come join our team!

The Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) of
the University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric
Science, invites applicants for a Postdoctoral Associate position in
Marine Biology and Fisheries. This position is situated at the NOAA
Fisheries Southeast Fisheries Science Center Protected Resources and
Biodiversity Division located in Miami, FL.

We seek a postdoctoral researcher to join our group and oversee a
project on the impacts of shipping noise and ship-strike mitigation on
North Atlantic right whales along the southeast US Atlantic coast. The
incumbent will collect and analyze passive acoustic monitoring data,
characterize ship noise in right whale calving and migratory habitats
and use passive acoustic monitoring tools to improve strategies for
ship-strike mitigation.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Oceanography, Biology or related field
and experience in passive acoustic monitoring methodologies and
processing large datasets and the computer skills necessary for analysis
of spatio-temporal patterns of right whale occurrence and noise
characterization from acoustic data. In addition, preferred applicants
will have some field experience participating in vessel-based studies of
marine mammals.

Apply on line at: www.miami.edu/careers <http://www.miami.edu/careers>
position# 045304. Curriculum Vitae and the contact information for 3
people who can provide letters of recommendation are required.

The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive
benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition
remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of
Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

--
Melissa Soldevilla, PhD

melissa.soldevilla at noaa.gov
305-361-4238