[MARMAM] MARINElife Cetacean & Seabird Training Courses

Adrian Shephard adrian.shephard at marine-life.org.uk
Fri Aug 3 01:38:23 PDT 2012

Cetacean & Seabird Surveyor Training Courses around the UK

If you are interested in learning more about cetacean and seabird
identification from land or in becoming an offshore marine
wildlife surveyor then join a day-long MARINElife course to
learn more.

MARINElife are teaming up with some of the Wildlife Trusts to
offer training days in the UK

Yorkshire Wildlife Trust: Saturday 25th August at Flamborough
in Yorkshire
Cumbria Wildlife Trust: Saturday 1st September 2012 in Kendal in
Cumbria
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust: Saturday 15th September 2012 at
Gibraltar Point Nature Reserve in
Lincolnshire Suffolk Wildlife Trust: Saturday 29th September 2012
venue in Suffolk to be confirmed

The day-long training day will consist of a series of
presentations given by experienced MARINElife research surveyors
covering identification of cetaceans and seabirds and the conduct
of effort-based surveys and will help those with limited or no
practical experience in understand more about cetacean and
seabird identification and the methodology for conducting
ship-based surveys.

MARINElife is unparalleled in its experience of conducting
ferry-based cetacean surveys, operating since 1995 and currently
supported across 13 different commercial vessel routes leaving
the UK. We also operate opportunistic small boat surveys in the
English Channel and North Sea.

Many of our volunteer surveyors have gone on to have careers in
marine mammal observation and we have conducted surveys and
training for JNCC, Natural England, CEFAS and the Inshore
Fisheries and Conservation Authorities. For those interesting in
taking their knowledge and experience further, the training would
be supplemented by one to one tuition by experienced MARINElife
team leaders during surveys aboard commercial vessels.

For further information visit the website at
www.marine-life.org.uk/surveyor-training-courses or contact
Tricia Dendle to book your place
(tricia.dendle at marine-life.org.uk). The course costs £30 which
does not cover transport to the venue or lunch.

Adrian Shephard
Chairman of MARINElife Trustees
www.marine-life.org.uk