[MARMAM] Need volunteers for large whale research in the Strait of Gibraltar

Pauline Gauffier pauline at circe.info
Wed Apr 25 01:27:54 PDT 2012

Dear
all,

Due to cancellations, I'm resending this announcement.
 The
research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info)
is seeking applications from volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin/sperm
whale research in the Strait of Gibraltar from May 21th to July 23rd 2012.

Fin
whale project:

The
fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the
Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and are still recovering from years of
hunting. Due to the high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at
least 3 ship strikes have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably
more remain unknown. Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk
of collision with merchant ships or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking
from a land station to find the main routes for the fin whales as well as any
behavioural changes in relation to boat movements.

This
project has been running for 3 years both in summertime and wintertime. During
this next summer survey we are planning to deploy satellite tags on the migrating
whales to identify their summering grounds.

Volunteers
should be available for one or more of the 3 periods of 3
weeks. 21 May-11 June / 11 June-2 July / 2-23 July (See http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en
for more information). You will be responsible for your transport to and from
the main centre, but once here, we will provide shared-room accommodation near
the research centre and daily transport to the land station. You will be
responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low.

Volunteers
should be prepared to long working days (9-15h/15-21h) under the sun, the wind
and quickly changing hot/cold weather and to help with data entry when bad
weather. For more information, a video and the blog of the
project, see http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en)

Successful
applicants will:

-
have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research

-
be autonomous and quickly operational

-
be able to live and work constructively with others in a team

- speak
fluently Spanish or English

-
be available for one (or more) of the 3-week periods

Preference
will be given to those who:

-
have previous experience in theodolite handling, including
tracking

-
have previous relevant marine mammal field experience

Applicants
are asked to send an email introducing themselves. The email should include an
outline of why you would like to work on this project, your qualifications and
previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV, detailing your previous
experiences relevant to this project, and download and attach the
registration form from http://www.circe.biz/index.php/components/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=236&lang=en
(also available in Spanish and French).

Applications should be sent as soon as possible as they will be examined in order of reception.

For
more information, do not hesitate to contact me.

All
the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIER