[MARMAM] Request for information on Monk seal vocalization

Marci Shindel shindelm at onid.orst.edu
Tue Apr 17 11:45:29 PDT 2012

Dear fellow MARMAMers and colleagues,

I am a graduate student at Oregon State University looking to gather
information and acoustic samples of Hawaiian Monk seal vocalizations
underwater.  If you have, or know of anyone with underwater recordings
of Hawaiian Monk seals (whether directly or indirectly in the
background), previous or ongoing studies/research, or even unpublished
observations such as from a rehab facility or any time spent
underwater; could you please forward me any information or names as to
whom I could contact for further information.

I am trying to compile sufficient evidence to determine the
feasibility of using passive aoustic monitoring on Hawaiian Monk seal
populations.  However, the availability and/or accessilibity of
existing recordings or studies containing or pretaining to underwater
monk seal vocalizations is minimal.

If anyone has information or could help in any way, please contact me
at shindelm at onid.orst.edu.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Marci Shindel