[MARMAM] Data Technician (job opportunity) - Maui, Hawai'i, USA
robertrankin at pacificwhale.org
Fri Apr 6 13:53:30 PDT 2012
Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF) has an immediate opening for Data Technician.
- This position will assist the PWF Research Department to digitize
and organize its large catalogue of cetacean data. The goal of the
position will be to integrate disparate data (photographs, attribute
data, and geospatial information) into a relational database (e.g.,
Discovery, SQL). The position is mostly computer/office based,
although some fieldwork may be available. The position may include
training in advanced statistical modeling and the chance to contribute
to scientific publications, should the candidate have an acceptable
background in science-based analyses, or be a fast learner in this
Attitude: “detail oriented; organized; quantitative.”
- Digitize photos/slides for a large, multi-decade catalogue of cetaceans
- Ensure data quality and consistency between electronic files and
- Follow data protocols to transfer existing electronic files into a
- Identify and match individual whales from a large fluke-ID catalogue
- Assist in writing science publications
- Assist in the management of a Remote Sensing database
Skills / Background:
- B.Sc. in Science, preferably in biology/ecology/environmental
science, or especially marine sciences
- Familiar with ecological and marine research, with some experience
following rigorous field protocols
- Experience manipulating, summarizing, and querying large datasets.
- Superior grasp of excel functions (VB Macro writing a plus)
- GIS experience a plus (e.g., ESRI products)
- Some basic familiarity with programming, or at least the desire to
learn. Experience writing code in Python, SQL, or R for efficient
workflows will be highly prized.
Pacific Whale Foundation checks references, conducts background and
drug screens and is an equal opportunity employer.
PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED APPLICATIONS OR APPLICATIONS
WITH PHOTOS, PERSONAL INFORMATION (SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO: MEDICAL
HISTORY, AGE, MARITAL STATUS, PARENTAL STATUS, ETC.), OR APPLICATIONS
WHICH ARE INCOMPLETE OR ILLEGIBLE.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resume to
applications at pacificwhale.org detailing your relevant work experience.
Please include the position title in the subject line of the email.
You may also send a hard copy to Pacific Whale Foundation, Attn: Human
Resources, 300 Ma’alaea Rd, Suite 211, Wailuku, HI 96793
Please, no phone calls!
MAHALO FOR YOUR INTEREST IN PACIFIC WHALE FOUNDATION. WE LOOK FORWARD
TO HEARING FROM YOU AND REVIEWING YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS.
More information about the MARMAM