[MARMAM] Volunteer Opportunity in Bohol, Philippines

jsilberg at uvic.ca jsilberg at uvic.ca
Thu Oct 20 08:31:38 PDT 2011

The not-for-profit organization Physalus is looking for 1-2 research
assistants for our Large Marine Vertebrate Project (LAMAVE) for the
upcoming field season in Bohol, Philippines from Feb-June, 2012.
Preference will be given to those who can commit to the whole season, but
we will consider shorter terms (minimum 2 months).

We conduct boat-based cetacean surveys focusing on the Northeastern
portion of the Bohol Sea. The area has incredibly high species diversity
and 17 cetacean species have already been sighted. The most common species
encountered are melon-headed whales and Fraser’s dolphins and a photo-ID
catalogue is in progress. Other project focuses include marine mammal
stranding workshops around the Philippines, meetings with local government
agencies, inshore whale shark surveys, and education in local schools.

We are looking for an individual with previous marine mammal experience
especially with photo-identification, although other qualified individuals
should feel free to apply. There is the possibility for the assistant to
help develop their own project.

  Qualifications we are looking for include:
      •	Previous boating experience essential
      •	Ability to swim
      •	Experience with data entry and analysis
      •	Ability to work well with a small team
      •	Strong work ethic (days on the boat can be very long)
      •	Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field desired (not required)

Room and board will be provided, but assistants will be responsible for
travel to the Philippines and any visa fees. Flights to Bohol (Tagbilaran
City) from Manila cost under $100. Assistants will share a living space
with 1 or 2 other individuals and cooking duties are shared.

Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume with
references to lamave.project at gmail.com by Nov. 15th. We will potentially
be conducting interviews at the upcoming SMM conference in Tampa, but will
be able to accommodate applicants who will not be attending.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Alessandro Ponzo
Project Coordinator
Physalus’ Large Marine Vertebrate Project - Philippines