[MARMAM] Humpback Whale Field Intensive Program Announcement

Mithriel MacKay mithriel.mackay at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:18:52 PDT 2011

> *Humpback Whale Field Intensive Program at MCERC in Puerto Rico*
>

> The marine and Coastal Ecology Research Center is inviting interested
> students to participate in  the second season for 14 day field intensives
> focused on cetacean behavioral ecology in Puerto Rico. Join our research
> team studying humpback whales *(Megaptera novaeangliae)* wintering off
> Puerto Rico. Space is limited to 4 students per 14 day session for boat and
> land based research platforms during the field season from January 2012-May
> 2012.
>

>  This field intensive training program is well suited for students
> (undergraduate and graduate) of all skill levels interested in cetacean
> behavioral ecology, and conservation. The field intensive culminates in a
> certificate acknowledging training including:
>
>         research experience in vessel and land based data collection and
> recording of humpback whale behaviors , photographic techniques under a
> variety of conditions, photo identification of individual humpbacks and
> dolphins, theodolite tracking and computer interface, passive acoustic
> sampling and analysis, assessing environmental factors, permit requirements
> for marine mammal research involving endangered species, and overview of
> ecology on this island bordered by the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.
>

> *100% of fees support this research project and associated lectures.*Participants are directly involved in data collection and analysis for Phd
> Dissertation related research for humpback whale occupancy, habitat use, and
> movement off Puerto Rico as well as an examination of reaction to human
> activity near shore (including boats, divers, surfers, and aircraft) under
> the direction of Mithriel MacKay, PhD Candidate, Texas A&M University at
> Galveston*.  *$1500.00 per student includes travel between field stations,
> training program in scientific methods, room and board at the project base
> station, reference materials related to the project, including field
> methods, and a certificate of completion. Fees do not include travel to and
> from Ponce Puerto Rico and compulsory insurance. Students landing in Ponce,
> Puerto Rico will be picked up at the airport and brought to the base station
> in Guayanilla. **
>

> To apply for this field intensive, please visit the website below and
> download the forms indicated. Please be sure to read the description of the
> project and the base station.
>

> Website: www.compusafe.biz/humpbacks_off_puerto_rico
>
>               Click on the “courses” tab
>
>               Information and applications can be found on page 15 of the
> course catalog
>

>             Please be sure to indicate first, second, and third choice for
> dates from the following 2012 schedule:
>
> Session 1 Jan 11-24
>
> Session 2 Jan 26-Feb8
>
> Session 3 Feb 15-28
>
> Session 4 March 1- 14
>
> Session 5 March 21-April 3

> [...]
*}-wh^ale> **}-wh^ale> **}-wh^ale> **}-wh^ale> **}-wh^ale> **}-wh^ale>*

Mithriel M. MacKay
Ph.D. Candidate
Marine Mammal Research Program
Department of Marine Biology
Texas A&M University, Galveston
(830) 688-9878

Director of Research and Education
Marine and Coastal Ecology Research Center
HC02 6231 Guayanilla, PR
     and
PO Box 63435 Pipe Creek, Texas 78063
www.compusafe.biz/Humpbacks_off_Puerto_Rico