[MARMAM] Volunteers needed to help with whale fieldwork in South of Spain (Andalusia)

Pauline Gauffier pauline at circe.biz
Thu Oct 6 05:22:32 PDT 2011

Dear all,

The research
group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info) is
seeking applications from 5 volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin whale research in the Strait of
Gibraltar from 14 November to 19 December
2011 (5 weeks)

Fin whale project:

The fin whales
observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the Atlantic Ocean
and the Mediterranean Sea and are still recovering from years of hunting. Due
to the high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at least 3 ship strikes
have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably more remain unknown.
Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk of collision with merchant
ships or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking from a land station to find
the main routes for the fin whales as well as any behavioural changes in
relation to boat movements.

This project
has been running for 3 years both in summertime and wintertime. During this
next winter survey we are planning to deploy satellite tags on the migrating
whales to identify their wintering grounds.

Volunteers
should be available for the entire period of 5 weeks. You
will be responsible for your transport to and from the main centre, but once here,
we will provide accommodation at the research centre and transport to the land
station. You will be responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low.

Volunteers
should be prepared to long working days (9-18h)  under the sun, the wind and sometimes
cold weather and to help with data entry when bad weather. For more information, a
video and the blog of the project, see http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103)

Successful applicants will:

- have a
mature attitude towards marine mammal research

- be autonomous
and quickly operational

- be able to
live and work constructively with others in a team

- speak fluently Spanish and/or English

- be
available for the entire 5-week period

Preference will be given to those who:

- have previous experience in theodolite
handling, including tracking

- have
previous relevant marine mammal field experience

Applicants should send an email introducing themselves. The email should
include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV,
detailing your previous experiences relevant
to this project, and download the registration form from http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103
 (also available in Spanish and French).
For those who are interested, there is an opportunity for arriving from November 3rd and help with other projects (mainly photo-ID), please mention it in your email.

Applications will be accepted until 16
October 2011 and then your participation will be confirmed as soon as
possible.

For more
information, do not hesitate to contact me.

All the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIER
CIRCE