[MARMAM] CITES info session *date change*

Siri Hakala Siri.Hakala at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 21 11:54:16 PST 2011

Change of Date-  Due to an unforeseen schedule conflict, the joint
NOAA/USFWS information session to answer questions about importing and
exporting marine mammal samples from and to the United States under
CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild
Fauna and Flora) will be held on *Tuesday, November 29th* at the Society
for Marine Mammalogy 19th Biennial Conference.

A representative from NOAA's Southwest Fisheries Science Center
(providing the perspective of an importer/exporter and applicant for
CITES permits) and from the USFWS Division of Management Authority (from
the CITES regulatory perspective) will be on hand to answer questions. A
representative from NMFS Office of Protected Resources will provide the
NMFS Headquarters permit perspective.

The session will take place on Tuesday, November 29 from 5:30-7:00pm at
the NOAA Booth (either Booth 131 or 132 in the same hall as the posters).

Everyone is welcome, especially if you have plans to import/export
samples the in future.

Some examples of questions we can help answer:

What paperwork is required to legally export/import samples to the
United States under CITES?
Who do I request permits from in my country?
Who needs to validate the permit before the samples cross any borders?
What will happen to my shipment if it doesn't comply with the CITES
regulations?
Who do I need to contact if I am expecting an import of marine mammal
specimens?

We hope to see you there!
Siri Hakala (NOAA)
Lisa Lierheimer (USFWS)