[MARMAM] Vet advice requested for skin anomaly in bottlenose dolphin

Fabian Ritter, MEER e.V. ritter at m-e-e-r.de
Fri Nov 18 08:16:10 PST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

during autumn 2012 we observed a number of bottlenose dolphins obvious
with *skin anomalies / skin diseases *off La Gomera (Canary Islands).
While emaciated bottlenose dolphins have become a more or less regular
sight during the past, and some anomalies can be explained relatively
straight away, at least one case from October 2012 is still *puzzling:*

A bottlenose dolphin calf carried *large patches on both flanks*, where
its skin looked *atypical in colour and character*, hence appeared as a
skin disease. This anomaly didn't look like anything we had observed so
far. We were able to shoot some good quality photographic images of the
individual, which are represented here:

http://www.m-e-e-r.de/index.php?id=511&L=2

If you have *veterinary and/or pathological experience *with cetaceans,
we would like to know if you know about the (potential) cause for this
anomaly. We will be grateful for any suggestions, which finally will be
used for our study *"Anomalies in Cetaceans off La Gomera" *launched in
2010. High resolution images are also available.

Best greetings,
Fabian

--

Fabian Ritter
-Vorsitzender/President-

M.E.E.R. e.V.
Bundesallee 123
D-12161 Berlin

T/F: (0)30-644 97 230
e-Mail:ritter at m-e-e-r.de

www.m-e-e-r.org

---
The dolphins were having a great relaxed time
and there were no major answers they wished
to know the questions to...
(After Douglas Adams)