[MARMAM] CITES Import/Export information session at the Marine Mammalogy 19th Biennial

Siri Hakala Siri.Hakala at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 18 15:29:48 PST 2011

A joint NOAA/USFWS information session designed to answer questions
about importing and exporting marine mammal tissue and DNA from and to
the United States under CITES (Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) will be held at the Society
for Marine Mammalogy 19th Biennial Conference.

A representative from NOAA's Southwest Fisheries Science Center
(providing the perspective of an importer/exporter and applicant for
CITES permits) and from the USFWS Division of Management Authority (from
the CITES regulatory perspective) will be on hand to answer questions.

The session will take place on November 30 from 5:30-7:00pm at the NOAA
Booth (either Booth 131 or 132 in the same hall as the posters).

Everyone is welcome, especially if you have plans to export samples to
the US.

Some examples of questions we can help answer:

What paperwork is required to legally export/import samples to the
United States under CITES?
Who do I request permits from in my country?
Who needs to validate the permit before the samples cross any borders?
What will happen to my shipment if it doesn't comply with the CITES
regulations?
Who do I need to contact if I am expecting an import of marine mammal
specimens?

We hope to see you there!
Siri Hakala (NOAA)
Lisa Lierheimer (USFWS)