[MARMAM] A question about a marked fin whale at North Atlantic

Ángela Llavona allavonav at yahoo.es
Mon May 30 15:06:02 PDT 2011

Dear Marmamers,

                           last week fishermen from Galicia (NW Spain) told us that they saw a whale around 10 - 12m length with a yellow label/mark at its back swimming to the North Atlantic. We can't confirm the identification of the species but as 15 days before a fin whale calve of more or less
the same length stranded at the coast, we suppose that it could be also a calve or a juvenile of this species.

     Somebody is using this yellow marks for the identification of fin whales or tracking them?

     Thank
you!

     Cheers,
                     Ángela