[MARMAM] Greek Summer Cetacean Research Field Courses

Marta Azzolin tursiope.ve at libero.it
Tue May 17 06:37:57 PDT 2011

Apologize for cross posting.

Greek Summer Cetacean Research Field Courses

The new dates of the Greek Cetacean Research Field Courses 2011 have been launched!!

The Gaia Research Institute is a non-profit organization, dedicated to scientific research on biodiversity. More information on Gaia Research can be found at www.gaiaresearch.org.
The Gaia Research Institute board members cooperate with the Italian universities, working as lecturers (DBAU, University of Torino) or being involved in a PhD (DBAU, University of Torino; University of Pavia).

The Greek Cetacean Research Field Courses 2011 allows you to participate to our research activities in the Greek Ionian waters (Ionian Islands and Gulf of Corinth).
Long-term behavioural research projects are carried out in order to study acoustic, social structure, habitat use and interaction with anthropogenic activities of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus), striped dolphins (Stenella coeruleoalba) and short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis).
The field courses include vessel-based surveys, practical training in field methodologies, data collection and analysis, direct participation to research activities (photo-identification, behavioural observations, acoustic recordings). Moreover you might follow the lectures given by our research team.

Where:
•	In the Ionian Islands: the course is boat-based. The routes covered will be between the North of Kerkyra Island and the South of Kefallinia. The accommodation would be in our 12m sailing boat.
•	In the Gulf of Corinth: the surveys would be conducted by a zodiac. The accommodation would be in tents (provided by our team) / rooms (depending on the availability) in the Gaia Research base of Lakazeza (www.lakazeza.com).

When:
7 days (from Sunday to Saturday) starting from the 5 of June to the 24 of September 2011

Cost:
The cost vary from €420 up to 620€, depending on the location and period. More information at: http://www.gaiaresearch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=59

Applications:
No previous experience is required.