[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for marine mammal research - South Australia

Kerstin Bilgmann kerstin.bilgmann at mq.edu.au
Tue May 10 01:22:15 PDT 2011

Dear Marmam readers,

We are looking for 2-3 volunteers to join our team at the *Cetacean Ecology,
Behaviour and Evolution Lab* (CEBEL) at the School of Biological Sciences,
Flinders University (South Australia). Research project: “Population size,
structure and habitat preferences of common dolphins in South Australia:
enhancing the assessment, reduction and mitigation of fisheries operational
interactions”.

Students/volunteers with a biology or marine biology background from
overseas or Australia are welcome to apply. Commitment is required for a
period of 3 months starting beginning of August 2011. Main tasks will be
assisting in dolphin aerial surveys - being an observer in a small aircraft
for dolphin abundance estimates. There are also opportunities to assist in
biopsy sampling of dolphins from boats, data entry, data editing and
molecular laboratory work, depending on interest.  Experience in aerial
survey work is desirable, but not mandatory.

We are looking for people with a good research understanding that are
flexible and willing to work long hours in the field. Availability to
undertake field work on short notice is a must (including weekends) since
much of the work depends on good weather conditions. Schedules will be
flexible with days off on windy days rather than weekends.

Volunteers will need to cover their own transport to Adelaide, SA and living
expenses (food and accommodation). We are happy to assists applicants from
overseas with visas and finding accommodation in Adelaide.
This project provides an excellent opportunity for students and individuals
interested in getting more experience in the field of marine mammal
research.

If interested, please send a ‘letter of interest’ to
Kerstin.bilgmann at flinders.edu.au and attach a short CV listing relevant work
experience.

Best wishes,

Kerstin

--
Dr Kerstin Bilgmann

Postdoctoral Fellow
School of Biological Sciences
Flinders University
GPO Box 2100 Adelaide   SA 5001 Australia
Ph: +61 (0) 409134460
E-mail: kerstin.bilgmann at flinders.edu.au
&
Honorary Associate