[MARMAM] Field assistant needed for a behavioural ecology and demography project in autumn 2011

Kristine Meise kristine.meise at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed May 4 05:49:23 PDT 2011

Field assistant needed for a behavioural ecology and demography project in autumn 2011!

We  are currently looking for a highly motivated field assistant to  participate in our international field project on behavioural ecology  and demography of Galápagos sea lions (Zalophus wollebaeki). Since 2003, we are investigating a population of sea lions on a little islet (Caamaño),  determining female and male reproductive success, pup growth, social  structure and demography in a study population of about 1000  animals. The project is run by Kristine Meise, Paolo Piedrahita and  Prof. Fritz Trillmich (Univeristy of Bielefeld, Germany).

The field site is situated on a small (500m diameter), uninhabited   islet off Santa Cruz. To investigate growth, reproductive success and  social structure we run a  regular recapture and resighting program. The field assistant will  participate in all aspects of this program.  Field work will be demanding.  Participants have to live in tents the entire field season and share in  all camp duties (cooking, cleaning, daily data entry, etc.). No  sanitary facilities are available and we provide sweet water only for  drinking and cooking. All gear needs to be transported to the islet via a  difficult landing and camp conditions are primitive, including mostly  tinned food. Due to the long stay in this rough situation volunteers  need to be physically capable. Preferences will be given to candidates  with prior field work experience, especially those who have worked with  pinnipeds before.

Field assistants are expected to stay for the entire field season (~  end of August until the middle of December). We cover travel and living  expenses.

The language at the camp will be English and Spanish.

If you are interested, please send an application in English  (including a letter of motivation, two references and your curriculum  vitae) until June, 15th 2011 to the following address:

kristine.meise at uni-bielefeld.de

Kristine Meise

Galápagos Sea Lion Project
University of Bielefeld