[MARMAM] Recent Publication on Abundance of two populations of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in northern Veracruz, Mexico

Serrano Solis Arturo arserrano at uv.mx
Tue May 3 21:26:31 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues: we are pleased to announce the recent publication of the following paper:

Valdes-Arellanes, M.P., Serrano, A., Heckel, G., Schramm, Y. and Martínez-Serrano, I. 2011. Abundance of two populations of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in northern Veracruz, Mexico. Revista Mexicana de Biodiversidad 82: 227-235

Abstract
In Mexico, the population size of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) is unknown, due to the fact that they are highly mobile, and occasionally there are exchanges of individuals between populations. The objective of this study was to determine the abundance of dolphins in the north of Veracruz. From March 2005 to December 2007 were 50 surveys with a total effort of 236.7 hours. The results of the photo-identification of dolphins were used in the Jolly-Seber model, and with this model we estimated a total of N = 302 ± 113 dolphins throughout the study area. For Tamiahua a population estimate of N = 177 ± 10 dolphins, and for Tuxpan N = 161 ± 68 dolphins. These results suggest that there is minimal exchange of dolphins between areas; therefore it is assumed that populations are not isolated but dolphins have a preference for certain areas, and confirms that there is fidelity to the site of 13 years from the photo-recapture of some individuals in the area of Tamiahua. The fidelity may be a consequence of the high primary productivity present in the area, therefore is an ideal place for breeding and shelter.

Please feel free to contact me with questions and for reprints.

Cheers,

 Arturo Serrano, Ph.D.
Coordinador Regional
Coordinación de Investigación y Posgrado
Universidad Veracruzana
Región Poza Rica - Tuxpan
Tel.: (783) 834 4350 Ext. 46113
Cel.: (783) 112 0346