[MARMAM] SMM Gulf Coast Student Chapter Announces 2nd Student Research Symposium

Courtney Smith courtney.e.smith at eagles.usm.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:44:31 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

The Gulf Coast Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy is
pleased to announce its 2nd Annual Student Research Symposium to be held at
the University of Southern Mississippi’s Thad Cochran Center in Hattiesburg,
MS, August 27-28th, 2011.  An icebreaker event is planned for the evening of
August 26th.  This meeting is intended to facilitate and foster scientific
discussion and collaboration among marine mammal students and professionals
working in the Gulf Coast region.  Whether you are an established
professional or student, undergraduate or graduate, we invite you to attend!

This year’s symposium features a keynote address by Dr. Ruth Carmichael,
Senior Marine Scientist of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab and Assistant
Professor of Marine Science at the University of Southern Alabama. Dr.
Carmichael’s research focuses on the population ecology of West Indian
manatees (*Trichechus manatus*) in Alabama waters.  Also on the agenda are
student research presentations and workshops geared toward professional
development - including a MATLAB introductory workshop.  Following the
symposium, attendees are welcome to join GCSC members for an afternoon of
canoeing down the Okatoma Creek.

If you are interested in attending, please visit our
website<http://www.marinemammalscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=368&Itemid=160>for
further details and registration information.
 Abstracts should be submitted to Courtney Smith (at
Courtney.e.smith at eagles.usm.edu) no later than 5:00 pm ET Friday, August 5th
.  Presentation space is limited, and priority will be given to
students.  Following
the guidelines for the traditional SMM Biennial talks, student presentations
should be no longer than 12 minutes (followed by 3 minutes for questions).  We
encourage students working in the Gulf Coast region to present their
research, regardless of the stage of the project.

For those students traveling long distances to join us, we have a limited
number of free accommodations that may be arranged with local students.  Please
note the need for accommodations on your registration form and we suggest
you register early, as space is allocated on a first-come, first-served
basis.

Any further details pertaining to this event will be posted on our website.
Please contact Courtney Smith at the above email address if you have any
questions regarding the symposium.  We look forward to seeing you!

Take care,
Courtney
Courtney Smith
M.A. Student