[MARMAM] Parasite request

Natalia Fraija natalia.fraija at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:09:14 PDT 2011

Dear Marmam members,

Currently, we are carrying out molecular studies on digeneans from
cetaceans, with a special focus on species of the family Brachycladiidae
(previously know as Campulidae), and other species as *Pholeter gastrophilus
*, *Braunina cordiformis *and *Ogmogaster antarcticus. *At this moment, we
are collecting material from different geographical areas, mostly *Pholeter
gastrophilus,* which is a digenean that inhabits the stomach of a variety of
dolphin species, like striped dolphins, long-finned pilot whales,
bottlenosed dolphins, common dolphins, Commerson´s dolphins, Risso´s
dolphins, rough toothed dolphins, the Atlantic white side dolphins, white
beaked dolphins, dusky dolphins, franciscana dolphins, the Amazon river
dolphins and even harbor porpoises.

As the samples are needed for genetic studies, they must be stored in a
suitable medium for preserving DNA. Ideally they should be preserved in
70-100% ethanol. Three to five samples from each locality will be enough.

If you have any problems collecting or preserving the samples please do not
hesitate to contact me. Moreover, I could even go to your facilities and do
the collection of the samples. For any further information or shipping
procedure write back and I will be glad to help you:
natalia.fraija at gmail.com

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Natalia Fraija Fernández