[MARMAM] Inter-species calf kidnapping/adoption in marine mammals

Jeremy KISZKA jeremy.kiszka at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 6 03:53:07 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for published or unpublished records of inter-species calf kidnapping or adoption in marine mammals. I have a particular interest in associations between calf and adults of different species in delphinids. Indeed, several cases of spinner dolphin (Stenella longirostris) calf kidnapping or adoption were perpetrated by a Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin female in the lagoon of Mayotte (Mozambique Channel). I would be interested to know if other similar cases have been documented/observed in other areas, involving same or different species.

Many thanks. Please contact me (jeremy.kiszka at wanadoo.fr) for any feedback.

Jeremy Kiszka

Jeremy Kiszka (PhD)
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD)
IRD-UMR 212 EME (Exploited Marine Ecosystems)&
Université de La Rochelle. Lab. LIENSS (Littoral, Environnement et Sociétés). UMR 6250 CNRS-Université de La Rochelle.
Institut du Littoral et de l'Environnement. 2 rue Olympe de Gouge. 17000 La Rochelle. Tel.: +33 (0)5.46.50.76.48; GSM: +33 (0)6.81.43.20.09. Skype: jeremy.kiszka