[MARMAM] Start of SOCAL-11 BRS project

Brandon Southall Brandon.Southall at sea-inc.net
Fri Jul 29 00:25:02 PDT 2011

MARMAM,

We are about to kick off the most recent phase of our biological and
behavioral response studies of marine mammals in southern California.
SOCAL-11 is second field season of a multi-year (2010-2014)
interdisciplinary study, more generally referred to as “SOCAL-BRS”
(Behavioral Response Study), of basic behavior and responses to
controlled sound exposures in a variety of marine mammal species. The
overall objective is to provide a better scientific basis for estimating
risk and minimizing effects of active sonar for the U.S. Navy and
regulatory agencies. SOCAL-BRS is part of a larger international
collaboration to measure the impacts of noise marine mammals using
opportunistic and experimental approaches (including controlled exposure
experiments, or “CEEs”).

For more information on the project, please go to www.socal-brs.org.
You can also find a simple public summary for SOCAL-11 at:
http://www.sea-inc.net/resources/SOCAL11_summary.pdf.
Finally, we will be posting blog updates from the field on our progress
at: http://sea.typepad.com/

Thanks,
Brandon Southall on behalf of the SOCAL-BRS team

Brandon L. Southall, Ph.D.
President, Senior Scientist, SEA, Inc.
Research Associate, University of California, Santa Cruz
9099 Soquel Drive, Suite 8, Aptos, CA 95003, USA
831.332.8744 (mobile); 831.661.5177 (office); 831.661.5178 (fax)
Brandon.Southall at sea-inc.net; www.sea-inc.net