[MARMAM] On-Line Lecture this Thursday: "New Findings on the Effects of Noise on the Behavior of Whales and Dolphins"

Renee Owens renee at wildlifezone.net
Thu Jan 13 19:07:16 PST 2011

As an environmental consultant in Southern California for 17 years, and as someone who studied the bioacoustics of the Commerson's dolphin, I have serious reservation regarding research, especially its purported importance.  I find this subject a very important and serious one, and am concerned that this research, which is supposed to be unbiased, has been funded by the Navy.

I'd also like to know how this research overrides strategies that we already are aware of (and could be developing further if funded), regarding sound buffering and military sonar alternatives, that we would have already applied if the Navy or NOAA ever aggressively followed the precautionary principle in their purported efforts to mitigate harm to marine mammals, something they rarely if ever do in Southern California - as is evidenced by NOAA's conduct in San Diego (or more specifically, their overt lack thereof) over the past 12 years regarding effective, collaborative conservation management of Harbor seals and sea lions; and also by the Navy's refusal (in court and in public) to admit that lack of evidence does not indicate 'no significant negative impact', in respect to the effect of military training sonar on cetaceans.

I realize this may not be the most welcome post on this forum - if it is allowed at all considering the conservative tendencies of such forum administrators - but I would feel irresponsible if I did not speak out on this topic.

Renee Owens
Native Wildlife Solutions, Inc.
Owens Environmental, llc.
San Diego