[MARMAM] AESS 2011 Conference Call for Proposals DEADLINE EXTENDED!

Wallace, Richard rwallace at ursinus.edu
Wed Jan 5 12:43:47 PST 2011

Dear Marmam Folks:

Please note that we have extended the deadline for submission of session (i.e., symposia, workshop, panel, roundtable discussion) proposals for the 2011 conference of the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences. The conference will be held in Burlington, Vermont on June 23-26. The new deadline is January 23rd and will be followed by the opening of the call for abstracts for individual oral and poster presentations and the opening of registration for the conference.

We are also seeking submissions of topics around which we can build sessions at the conference. When the call for abstracts for individual oral and poster presentations opens, it will include a list of topics with which folks may align their abstracts. In this way, we will build sessions by connecting interested individuals who might not otherwise know of each other's common interests. But to do so, we would like to hear from you about the topics you would like represented at the AESS conference.

Please scroll down for more information on the conference, and how to submit either a session proposal or a topic idea.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions, and apologies for cross-postings.

Sincerely,

Rich Wallace
AESS 2011 Program Chair
and
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies
Ursinus College
rwallace at ursinus.edu<mailto:rwallace at ursinus.edu>

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences
2011 Conference
"Confronting Complexity"
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CBACEF.572C66C0]<http://www.aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=81727>
June 23-26, 2011, Burlington, Vermont
Hosted by the University of Vermont

We have extended the session proposal deadline to Sunday, January 23rd. This is the new deadline for proposals for Symposia, Panel Sessions, Workshops, and Roundtable Discussions.

For more information on the conference or to submit a proposal,

visit www.aess.info/2011<http://www.aess.info/2011>

We also seek your ideas for sessions topics! In order to best reflect the interests of the environmental studies and sciences community, we invite you to tell us which session topics you'd like to see represented at AESS 2011. Click here<http://www.aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=86070> to propose a session topic!

The resulting list of session topics will be included in the call for abstracts for individual oral or poster presentations, which will open on Monday, January 31st.

Registration for AESS 2011 also opens on Monday, January 31st.

The 2011 AESS Conference will Feature Plenary Addresses
by
Climatologist Heidi Cullen
and
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (invited)

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CBACEF.572C66C0]

Also on the AESS 2011 Conference agenda:

 *           Exciting Vermont Field Trips!
 *           A Scrumptious "Taste of Vermont" Banquet!
 *           Live Musical Entertainment!
 *           Student Mixers!
 *           A Celebration of the Life and Work of AESS Founder Bill Freudenburg!

More on the Conference Theme:

AESS recognizes and embraces complexity as the hallmark of our field. Social, physical, biological and ideological factors in environmental problems are intricately linked, and environmental problems are so tightly interconnected that addressing one invariably affects others.  This limits our predictive capacity and challenges the assumptions embedded in our models of natural and social phenomena.  Engaging in dialogues about complexity presents challenges in both classroom and public sphere. Confronting complexity is critical to our ability to develop effective responses, thus this theme for the AESS 2011 annual meeting.

About the Conference Host:

The University of Vermont, the state's land grant institution, is one of the top green universities in the United States.  It offers numerous environmental majors and is home to 10,000 undergraduates, 1,500 graduate students, and 1,300 faculty.  Located in Burlington, Vermont, the campus and green conference venue are perched on a hill and look west across Lake Champlain to the Adirondacks and east to the Green Mountains.  Downtown is a short shuttle ride or walk from campus with easy access to shops and restaurants.  Burlington is the largest metropolitan area in Vermont and has received high ratings for livability, sustainability, and cultural engagement.

To learn more about AESS or to become an AESS member, click here!<http://www.aess.info/>

If you have questions, please e-mail:

AESS Program Committee Chair Rich Wallace at rwallace at ursinus.edu<mailto:rwallace at ursinus.edu>

or