[MARMAM] Canadian Seal Rehabilitator Opening

phocid phocid at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 15:27:13 PST 2011

MARINE MAMMAL REHABILITATOR

Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre (IWNCC) is a non-profit society dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of regional wildlife in the Canadian Gulf Islands.  Our emphasis is on Harbour Seal pups and avian species and we treat small terrestrial mammals as well.  We are seeking a candidate for the position of Marine Mammal & Avian Rehabilitator.

IWNCC is located on the coast of British Columbia, on Salt Spring Island, one of the largest of the coastal Gulf Islands.  We are a small, but very busy Centre, primarily outdoors on a forested 4-acre property.  We treat up to 100 seal pups and 500 avian and terrestrial animals each year.  The majority of our animal intake occurs between May and November.  Seasonal work hours are long and the work is fast-paced and physically demanding, however with our cross-discipline of animals, it is varied and fulfilling.

The position reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for helping to oversee all aspects of care for our wildlife patients.  This includes coordinating rescues; admissions, diagnosis and critical care; hands-on daily animal husbandry; leadership, training and supervision of interns and volunteers; maintaining clean animal habitats; the day-to-day running of the clinic; procuring and managing inventory of supplies, equipment and medications; keeping accurate detailed records and liaising with industry professionals such as veterinarians and conservation officials.

The successful candidate must have several years of senior hands-on rehabilitation experience working with both Harbour Seals and avian species.  She/he must be experienced in examinations, diagnosis and treatment, plus have proven supervisory and English language communications skills, be physically fit and able to work independently or as a part of a busy team.  The workday includes shifts and weekends.

The position commences May 2011 with a salary range between $26,000 - $30,000 annually depending upon experience.  Other benefits include basic on-site housing for a candidate relocating to Salt Spring, use of a company vehicle and 2 weeks vacation.

This position is open to Canadian applicants only.

Please send your CV, references and an informal cover letter to Jackie Ballerone, Director, Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre, 322 Langs Road, Salt Spring Island, BC  V8K 1N3, Canada.  Or email us at iwncc at aol.com

For more information regarding IWCC, visit our website at www.sealrescue.org