[MARMAM] RESEARCH EXPEDITION IN NORWAY

Marta Acosta Plata macostaplata at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 08:29:42 PST 2011

*JOIN A RESEARCH EXPEDITION IN NORWAY*

We are currently searching for 7 research assistants to join boat based
expeditions in Norway.

*Aims of the expedition and itinerary*

The aim of this expedition is to conduct a survey during which we will
collect data on marine mammal distribution along the North coast of Norway.
Data will be used by several students working currently on their PhD and
Master´s thesis in Whale Safari Andenes, Norway. This expedition is
organized in collaboration with La Isla de los Delfines (
www.laisladelosdelfines.com).

We will sail out from Tromsø harbor, and during 7 days of navigation we will
pass through the areas of high concentration of cetaceans along the coast of
the *Vesterålen and Lofoten islands, like the Bleik Canyon, a key feeding
ground for sperm whales. In the area we might also encounter killer whales,
Atlantic white-sided dolphins, white beaked dolphins, pilot whales,
porpoises, fin whales, minke whales and humpback whales. We will conduct visual
and acoustic surveys, and work on the photo identification of sperm whales
and killer whales. We will spend the night at a different harbor each day,
allowing us to explore the wild coasts of these islands.*

*The itinerary is subjected** to weather conditions, as sometimes the sea
state may oblige us to stay on land. In this case, additional activities
will be proposed.*

*Dates*

·         6th – 24th June 2011

·         19th – 27th September 2011

*The boat and life on board*

*Best Explorer* is a 15 m long sailing boat that has been used for sailing
across remote areas in Northern Norway and the Arctic during the past years.
It has a capacity for 12 persons and is perfectly equipped to conduct
research surveys.

More info: www.bestexpeditions.net

The boat is equipped with 3 showers and a full kitchen. As space might be
limited, we recommend bringing reduced luggage.

 *Participant requirements and duties*

*Participants will help during the survey **in **effort and **marine mammal
**data collection and **analysis**. During the expedition we will expend c**
c**a 10h a day working on the survey. **Participants will learn how to
design surveys and data sheets, use GPS, recognize marine mammal species,
gather behavior data, individual identification of cetaceans and sailing
skills among other tasks.*

*W**e will enjoy local nature and landscapes through excursions** the rest
of the time**, the midnight sun in June, and northern lights in September.**
*

During the expedition, participants will be provided with lectures about
marine mammals, cetaceans and training in research techniques. A boat safety
lecture will be also arranged on the first day of the expedition.

*Anyone with an interest in getting actively involved in marine mammal
research can join the expedition. Though no prior experience in the marine
mammal field is necessary, it will be considered** a plus**. ***

*The applicants should be aware of the weather conditions on the Norwegian
sea, which can sometimes be rough, **so we discourage people who suffer from
seasickness to apply.***

*Applicants will be accepted on a first come – first served basis. ***

*Participation fee***

*Unfortunately, the budget of this project is very limited, so there is a
fee of 1500 euros **per participant** strictly **to **cover the boat
expenses. ***

*The fee includes travel insurance, accommodation on board in 3-4 **persons
**cabins, and boat expenses (e.g: rental fee, crew salary, oil, harbor fee**
s**). Food expenses will not be covered, but **we will keep these expenses
low by arranging **co**mmunity meals. *

*As the participation fee only covers boat expenses calculated on the basis
of 7 participants, we need to fill all the **assistant** positions for the
expedition to take place**.***

*The **payment can be done by 30th April and it ca**n be done through
installement, b**ut please consult **me beforehand **for this **way** of
payment. However, **a **part of the fee (300 euros) must be paid in advance
(before 31st March) to book the placement. This fee will be returned if the
participant communicates refusal of the placement before 31st May.***

*For more information and application, please contact: ***

macostaplata at gmail.com

Marta Acosta

Researcher

Whale Safari Andenes