[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for fin/sperm whale research in the Strait of Gibraltar

Pauline Gauffier pauline at circe.biz
Mon Feb 14 11:12:42 PST 2011

The research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.biz) is seeking applications
from volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin
and sperm whales in the Strait
 of Gibraltar. Fieldwork
will take place from 29 May to 24 July 2010.

Project:

The fin whales observed in the Strait
of Gibraltar are in migration between
the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea while
sperm whales’ sightings are mainly foraging activities. Both species are still
recovering from years of hunting. Due to the high and increasing maritime
traffic in the Strait, at least 2 ship strikes have been observed with fin
whales since 1999 and 3 with sperm whales, probably more remaining unknown.
Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk of collision with
tankers or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking from a land station to find
the main routes for the fin/sperm whales as well as any behavioural changes in
relation to boat movements.

Volunteers
should be prepared to long working days under the sun (9-21h) and data entry when bad
weather.

Volunteers should be available at least for 2 weeks
(see http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103 for last year blog of the project) but long period availability is possible. You will be
responsible for your transport to and from the main centre, but once there, we
will provide accommodation and transport to the land stations. Food will be at
your own expenses but group shopping will keep the expenses low.

Successful applicants will:

- have a mature attitude towards marine
mammal research

- be autonomous and quickly operational

- be able to live and work constructively with others
in a team

- speak
fluently English and/or Spanish

Preference will be given to those who:

- have previous experience in theodolite handling, including whale tracking

- have previous relevant marine mammal field
experience

Applicants should me send a short email introducing themselves. The email should
include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and previous experience. Please also attach a brief CV. Please download the registration form from http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103
 (also available in Spanish and French).

Applications will be accepted until 6 March although early application is recommended as applications will be examined weekly.

All the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIER
CIRCE - Conservation, Information and Research on Cetaceans - SPAIN
http://www.circe.info
Mobile: (+34) 658 199 045