[MARMAM] Deadline extension: MMO/PSO/MMSO/PAM vacancy, Scotland, UK

Rebecca Thompson r.thompson at oceanscienceconsulting.com
Mon Feb 14 04:31:08 PST 2011

Dear all,

DEADLINE EXTENSION: FRIDAY 18 MARCH 2011

Due to the overwhelming response to our recent advertisement for
traineeships, contract and full-time positions (see below), we will now
be conducting interviews until 18 March, possibly longer. The interview
process will require significantly more resources on our part than
originally anticipated, and we encourage all those deterred by the
previous short deadline to apply, so that the most deserving candidates
are considered.

OSC invites applications for various MMO/PSO/MMSO/PAM and SAS (Seabirds
At-Sea, or equivalent seabird surveillance and monitoring) positions
worldwide, including contract work, traineeships, and full-time
positions. All applicants must have made necessary enquiries (e.g.
sought advice from JNCC-approved instructors) and familiarised
themselves with general offshore working requirements (e.g. 12-hour
shifts, 7 days per week, typically 5-6 week crew-rotations), be prepared
to indicate a willingness to maintain flexibility, and address each of
the following points where relevant to respective positions:

1.Undergraduate science-based degree to minimum grade of lower second
class (2:2), or equivalent for overseas candidates;

2.Ability to identify all European marine mammals and/or bird species;

3.Copies of up-to-date CV in Word format (2003 or earlier version, not
exceeding two pages);

4.Copies of valid passport(s) and any visas;

5.Copies of MMO/PSO/MMSO/PAM and SAS (or equivalent) certificates;

6.Copies of up-to-date Pan-European offshore medical certificates (to
simplify administration, please separately and clearly state expiry
dates on your CV);

7.Copies of up-to-date Pan-European offshore survival certificates (to
simplify administration, please separately and clearly state expiry
dates on your CV);

8.Field experience (including duration) in respective roles;

9.Ability to install basic operating system and PAM (e.g. PAMGUARD and
IFAW) software onto new laptops, set up sound cards, and configure PAM
with hydrophone array and portable GPS unit or with vessel's NMEA
(satellite) comms;

10.Copies of full driving licence and specify whether clean;

11.Previous contract or employment rates;

12.Previous employer's contact details.

  Candidates applying for traineeships are not expected to address all
of the above, but must provide a cogent case for their consideration.
Priority will be given to candidates who can answer the above points
succinctly with few or no questions. Due to popularity of these
advertisements, we cannot provide careers advice and any such enquiries
will be ignored.

All certificates should be provided in JPEG format and resized to a
sensible resolution that can easily be emailed, yet clearly legible.
PDFs are acceptable, but not desirable -- note point 3, which specifies
requirement for Word 2003 format or earlier.

For certain jobs, work will be awarded preferentially to UK-based
applicants; however, in these circumstances, equal consideration will
also apply to any overseas domiciled applicants who can provide a
temporary UK residence (e.g. friends or family) and arrange/fund their
own transportation to/from our UK offices when required - CVs for such
applications should state both overseas and UK temporary addresses.

Successful applicants will be invited for interviews commencing Monday
14 February 2011 in Dunbar, Scotland, UK.

In order to apply, send a CV and appropriate accompanying documents to
Rebecca Thompson, Operations Co-ordinator: rt at osc.co.uk

Regards

Rebecca Thompson

--