[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Behavioural Ecology Studies in New Zealand

Bernd Wuersig wuersig at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 2 06:25:56 PST 2011

Dear MARMAM Colleagues,

A new course in Marine Mammal Behavioural Ecology, with special emphasis on
dusky dolphin foraging and social strategies will be held in Kaikoura, New
Zealand, 17-28 May, 2011.

PERSONNEL:  This course is team taught by a cadre of international experts, and
is limited to 10 participants, preferably of undergraduate or graduate student
status. While you do not need to be enrolled in university during the course, we
prefer general student status, or working towards it.

DATES:  Course dates are 17-28 May, with arrival needed by 16 May (if coming
from North America or Europe, add one day due to the dateline, i.e. you need to
leave home by 14 May).

CREDIT:  Course credit in the US system is 4 units (equal to a one-semester
lecture course with lab).  Please coordinate with your respective university if
you wish credit, and the course leaders will give you a grade on performance,
and a full evaluation as per your school’s requisites.

COURSE STRUCTURE: This course will consist of 1) lectures and in situ immersion
in the world of dusky dolphins; 2) practical field experience in photographic
identification, theodolite tracking from a shore station, and learning details
of behavioral descriptions; 3) assessment of dolphin activities from a dolphin
watching vessel, for close-up interactional information; and 4) a local
indigenous Maori appreciation of nature and natural resources, with a special
Maori-led tour through the native forest.  Participants have the chance to
conduct their own directed studies during these two weeks, and to use these for
student accreditation for their respective universities.  We will help supply
ideas for the actual topic once in the field.

COST:  Course cost is $3,000 US.  You are expected to find your own financial
way to Kaikoura (with our logistic advice), but once you are there, we take care
of other course expenses: Living in a beautiful house overlooking the sea;
evening meals by an acclaimed local cook, and all other food costs; costs of
boats and vans/cars/trucks.

INTERESTED?  Contact the course coordinator, Bernd Würsig, by Friday Feb. 11
with your CV and a short cover letter explaining why you would like to
participate in this course, at wuersig at sbcglobal.net.  If selected, a 50%
deposit is due by Friday March 4; 100% by Friday April 25, 2011. You will need
international health insurance.