[MARMAM] AESS 2011 Call for Abstracts Now Open!!

Wallace, Richard rwallace at ursinus.edu
Tue Feb 1 13:30:07 PST 2011

Dear Marmam folks,

I would like to invite you to consider presenting at the upcoming conference of the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences. The call for abstracts is now open, and more information is given below. Initial program information (accepted workshops, symposia, panels, and roundtable discussions) will be posted soon. There is already accepted marine mammal content in the program, with more expected, and we would be delighted to foster greater involvement of the marine mammal science and conservation community.

Please let me know if you have any questions and apologies for cross-postings.

Sincerely,

Rich Wallace
Program Chair, AESS
and
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies
Ursinus College
Collegeville, PA

Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences
2011 Conference
"Confronting Complexity"

June 23-26, 2011, Burlington, Vermont
Hosted by the University of Vermont

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CBC22D.497E4540]

Call for Abstracts is Now Open!!!

The Deadline for Submitting Abstracts is March 15, 2011

For more information on the conference or to submit an abstract,
visit the AESS 2011 Conference Website (www.aess.info/2011)<http://www.aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=81727>

Registration for AESS 2011 - including all workshops and field trips - opens on February 15!

Symposium, Panel Session, and Other Program Information Coming Soon to the AESS 2011 Website.

AESS 2011 is delighted to feature plenary addresses
by
Dr. Heidi Cullen
CEO and Director of Communications, Climate Central
and
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (invited)

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CBC22D.497E4540]

Also on the AESS 2011 Conference agenda:
Exciting Vermont Field Trips
A Scrumptious "Taste of Vermont" Banquet
Live Musical Entertainment
Featured Films
Student Mixers
More on the Conference Theme:

AESS recognizes and embraces complexity as the hallmark of our field. Social, physical, biological and ideological factors in environmental problems are intricately linked, and environmental problems are so tightly interconnected that addressing one invariably affects others.  This limits our predictive capacity and challenges the assumptions embedded in our models of natural and social phenomena.  Engaging in dialogues about complexity presents challenges in both classroom and public sphere. Confronting complexity is critical to our ability to develop effective responses, thus this theme for the AESS 2011 annual meeting.

About the Conference Host:

The University of Vermont, the state's land grant institution, is one of the top green universities in the United States.  It offers numerous environmental majors and is home to 10,000 undergraduates, 1,500 graduate students, and 1,300 faculty.  Located in Burlington, Vermont, the campus and green conference venue are perched on a hill and look west across Lake Champlain to the Adirondacks and east to the Green Mountains.  Downtown is a short shuttle ride or walk from campus with easy access to shops and restaurants.  Burlington is the largest metropolitan area in Vermont and has received high ratings for livability, sustainability, and cultural engagement.

To learn more about AESS or to become an AESS member, click here!<http://www.aess.info/>

If you have questions, please e-mail:

AESS Program Committee Chair Rich Wallace at rwallace at ursinus.edu<mailto:rwallace at ursinus.edu>

or