[MARMAM] Research Technician in Marine Evolution and Conservation -- University of Groningen, the Netherlands -- Online submission required instructions within

Per J Palsboll p.j.palsboll at rug.nl
Thu Dec 15 01:23:07 PST 2011

My apologies for the second posting but it appears that I was provided
incorrect instructions the first time and that application have to be
submitted on-line. Please see below (at the very end).

-----------
Research Technician 0,6fte

Organisation
The University of Groningen is one of the largest and oldest research
universities in the Netherlands. It ranks among the top 200 Universities
in the world (The Times World University Rankings, 2010-2011). The
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies (CEES) at the Faculty of
Mathematics and Natural Sciences with the University of Groningen
invites applications for a position as a research technician placed at
the research group Marine Evolution and Conservation (MarECON).
MarECON’s main research focus is the evolution and conservation of
marine mammals. The group has excellent laboratory facilities for
molecular analyses.

Research description
We are recruiting a Research Technician for our general research program
which utilizes marine mammals, in particularly the large whales, to
study the population genetics and evolution in the marine realm. The
ultimate goal is to understand the mechanisms driving population genetic
structuring and local adaptation in wide-ranging mammals. Many aspects
of our research have conservation implications as well.

Qualifications
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated co-worker, who
enjoys acquiring new skills and enjoys working with a team of
researchers and students. He /she should have a Bachelor or Masters
degree in Biology (HLO) or related background. The ideal candidate will
have experience with (or the ability to acquire) modern molecular
genetic methods and instrumentation employed in evolutionary and
population genetics such as prepare libraries for next generation
sequencing, Sanger sequencing, STR genotyping and cloning. Experience
with database management is preferred and a good command of written and
spoken English necessary.

Additional information
For more information contact Dr. Per Palsboll (p.j.palsboll at rug.nl) or
Dr. Martine Berube (m.berube at rug.nl).

Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications
and work experience starting at € 1986 gross per month up to maximum of
€ 2682 (scale 7, step 10) gross per month for a 100% employment. This
position is defined according to the UFO function profile
'Onderwijs-/onderzoeksmedewerker'. The part-time (60%) appointment is
initially for a fixed period of 3 years and subject to an evaluation
after the first year.

Application
The application should be written in English including a personal
motivation, curriculum vitae, as well as the names and addresses of
three referees (including telephone number and email address). The
application should be submitted on-line. The link for the advertisement
and on-line submission may be found at this URL
http://www.rug.nl/corporate/vacatures/jobOpportunitiesRUG

--
Per J. Palsboll, Professor

Marine Evolution and Conservation
Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies
University of Groningen
Nijenborgh 7
9747 AG Groningen
The Netherlands